Couple readers have reported that default font change in word 2010 was not getting saved properly. This could be due to some add in problem or because of corrupt normal template file. You can try disabling or removing add-ins installed on Word 2010. Check out how to remove add-ins on Word 2010 for more information. Another solution that can be tried is to check the normal template in Word 2010.
Fix problem with normal template
Any changes done to the default settings on Word 2010 gets saved in normal.dotm template file. When ever a blank document is opened it would automatically populate all the default settings from the normal.dotm template file. This template file is located under %appdata%MicrosoftTemplates on your Windows PC.
You can try fixing the normal.dotm template by following the below mentioned steps.
- If you are running Word 2010 then close the application
- Navigate to normal.dotm file location and rename the file as normal_backup.dotm.
- Launch word application and change the default font to other than Calibri.
- Now close your word application with out saving the document.
- Navigate to normal template file location and theoretically you should find a new normal.dotm file.
- Launch word application again and check whether the changes done to default font still exists.
Please note that, previously done settings changes will be not be available when you rename the normal.dotm to normal_backup.dotm. To get the settings back you need to replace the new normal.dotm file with normal-backup.dotm file.